Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Walking the dog

I knew a guy with a big red dog. I really liked the dog. The guy was ok, but the dog was great.

One night I rode with the guy and his dog out to one of his friend's house. I stayed there with the dog and one of the guys that lived there while my friend and one of the other guys went looking for something. I hung out for a while, but then got bored and uneasy and decided to walk back to my own neighborhood. I took the dog with me.

The dog and I ended up having to walk down a street that had the reputation of being where the streetwalkers hang out looking for "dates". The reputation is true and there I was at 2 am in a skirt.....

The dog loved to play tug of war and using his leash as a tug toy was a lot of fun for both of us and we would stop every few blocks or so to do that.

Yeah, I can only think what a sight that might have been. Girl in a dress playing tug of war with a big dog out on the stroll.

The weird part is that guys would pull over in their cars and ask if I wanted a "date". How spooky is that? I wanted to ask, "What do you want? Me AND the dog?" I just laughed them off and walked on.

A police car pulled up as the dog and I were playing tug of war and the officer asked if I needed any help. I told the dog to drop it and sit - he did - what a good boy. I told the officer my story - about being abandoned and having to walk home. He told me this was not a good area to be in and I told him the story about the guys asking me for a date.

He was not able to give me and the dog a ride to where we were going, but said that he would patrol the street to make sure that I was not harassed anymore.

I continued my walk back to where I was staying and eventually the guy showed up and got his dog.

I sure miss that dog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.. dogs are such good friends. Absolute unconditional love no matter who you are, what you believe or what else goes on in your life. Make me want to get one (if I didn't already have two cats)

Barbara said...

I avoided having a dog when I was homeless. Now I have a great English Bulldog named Madame Thatcher (Maggie to her friends).

I agree, nothing better than a dog for a friend (don't tell my cat I said that)

erin said...

I always felt so safe when I used to take my dog out for runs in the morning. He was the first thing I missed when I had to move.

Fudge said...

You miss the dog and not the guy? What did the dog and guy look like?

Barbara said...

The guy was a sweet dumb guy - the dog was big with a chow kind of fluffy coat. I remember a lot more about the dog than I do the guy.