Sunday, June 10, 2007

It never completely goes away

I just got back from a quick trip to Portland. I rode the light rail from the airport to the friend's house where I was staying. As I sat there, looking out the window, I realized that I was calculating whether the places I passed would be suitable as a place to live if I was on the streets. Were they concealed enough to allow me to camp there without being noticed?

Along the rail tracks is a commercial district with overgrown greenery, perfect type of camping spot that I used to look for.

It's been over 14 years since I lived outdoors and I still check out my surroundings to see if there is a place to sleep where I would be safe if I didn't have a home to return to.

I was walking back to the MAX in the rain and was stopped by a couple who were pretty wet and asking for help to get a ticket to get to a friend's house and out of the weather. I had a five and gave it to them - the story doesn't matter - I had it and was willing to give it, so I did. They were very grateful. I told them that I had been homeless for 8 years and hoped that they were someday able to make the change for themselves that I had made for myself.

There's always hope, even if I still scan for a safe place to sleep.

4 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I'm glad you shared your experience. I've missed reading your stories. I'm glad that you could be an encouragement to that couple. I don't think there would be anything that would give more hope than to know and see someone who has been there. It's funny. I've never been homeless, but I have some homeless friends/acquaintances and I find myself doing the same as you- looking to see where would be safe- where would I go if I were on the streets- where is everyone tonight- especially when it's cold or raining.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara --
Glad I found you again! I knew you from a yahoo list. Glad to see you are still around and still sharing your stories.
All the best,
Coralee

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. We all have so much to learn.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....