Friday, July 21, 2006

A couple of friends

D and C had an apartment down on Alcatraz. A great big apartment and they always had a bunch of people staying with them. C was raising her grandson - he was just a baby at the time I met them. I came over to their place with someone that was crashing there and just fell in love with the baby. C was a great friend to me and her husband D really treated me like a sister or something like that.

C worked in a halfway house - she was recovering from an addiction and D was still using. I'd hang out there for days on end, cause they let me have all the time with the baby that I wanted/needed.

They treated me like family. When I showed up, they welcomed me in - when I took off, they did not take offense.

It was at their apartment that I got the big scar on my hand - but that's a story for another day.

I found out recently that D has died of Hep C and that C just had her second mastectomy. The baby is grown - he must be 15 or 16 now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there. my name is rory and i really identify with your story. i am a 36yr young queer grrrl in recovery and my friend who is a knitter suggested i read your blog.
i am glad i did. thanks.

Barbara said...

Thanks Rory.

I hope your recovery leads you to as good a life as I have now.